Gun-shy
OPINION: Listening to the hysterical reportage of gun law reforms being pushed through by Associate Minister of Justice Nicole McKee, your old mate wrongly asumed the Minister must be planning to hand out free AK-47s.
The Government will back the food and fibres sector to lead New Zealand’s economic recovery from Covid-19 with targeted investments, Forestry Minister Stuart Nash says.
The targeted investments will be part of the Government’s Fit for a Better World roadmap.
Two reports released today at the Fieldays – the Fit for a Better World Progress Update 2021 and the Sustainable Food and Fibres Snapshot – provide an update on the work the Government is doing in partnership with industry.
“Since we launched the roadmap, we’ve co-invested alongside industry in projects worth tens of millions of dollars,” Nash says.
Nash says the Fit for a Better World roadmap has focused on identifying creative and new ideas for lifting returns and improving sustainability.
“Last year, we up-scaled the Sustainable Food and Fibre Futures (SFF Futrues) fund to further boost innovation efforts.”
He says SFF Futures has committed more than $111 million in funding to new projects, worth almost $250 million.
“This emphasises the importance the sector places on innovation, which is vital to the delivery of the roadmap.”
Nash reminded the audience that in the 2021 Budget, the Government committed $62 million to back initiatives to help reduce costs for farmers and growers, boost returns, and achieve lower on-farm emissions.
“Partnerships like He Waka Eke Noa, our Primary Sector Climate Action Partnership, are also working with farmers and growers on practical solutions to reduce emissions and build resilience to climate change.
“All of this work has a common goal of strengthening the environmental credentials of our food and fibre products and driving further value growth.”
He says the Government is committed to working with sector partners to drive New Zealand’s economic recovery and ongoing prosperity.
Pāmu has welcomed ten new apprentices into its 2026 intake, marking the second year of a scheme designed to equip the next generation of farmers with the skills, knowledge, and experience needed for a thriving career in agriculture.
One team with 43 head, including a contingent from Mid Canterbury, are reflecting on a stellar NZ DairyEvent.
Fonterra farmer shareholders have approved the mechanism for a $2/share capital return expected from the sale of its global consumer and associated businesses.
Trainees in the horticulture industry studying towards a certificate or diploma can now apply for Horticulture New Zealand's (HortNZ) 2026 Industry Training Scholarships programme.
OPINION: The first three Global Dairy Trade (GDT) auctions have been a morale booster for farmers.
Former Fonterra executive Alex Turnbull has been appointed CEO to lead all five Yili Oceania Business Division companies in New Zealand.

OPINION: Here w go: the election date is set for November 7 and the politicians are out of the gate…
OPINION: ECan data was released a few days ago showing Canterbury farmers have made “giant strides on environmental performance”.