Keep Your Food Safe This Festive Season: NZ Food Safety Tips
New Zealand Food Safety (NZFS) is reminding New Zealanders to keep food safety top of mind as they head into the festive season.
An Auckland man who illegally killed and sold pigs and a chicken has been fined $8,000.
Peni Naivaluvou, aged 64, was sentenced in the Papakura District Court last week on three charges under the Animal Products Act, following prosecution by New Zealand Food Safety.
He was fined $4,000 for the illegal slaughter of the animals, $2,000 for selling the animal meat and $2,000 for failing to comply with a notice of direction to stop the home kill operation.
Vincent Arbuckle, New Zealand Food Safety deputy director general says Naivaluvou’s home kill business was not registered as required under the Animal Products Act, meaning they were operating unlawfully and not subject to the food hygiene standards and meat inspection checks all registered meat processors meet.
“Those who try to avoid registration and operate outside New Zealand’s stringent food safety rules are taking unacceptable risks with consumer safety and putting our international reputation at risk,” Arbuckle says.
During an investigation (2022 to 2023), a covert Food Safety investigator bought a slaughtered pig from Naivaluvou.
Naivaluvou was then served a Notice of Direction under the Animal Products Act which prohibited him from killing or selling animals, but he ignored the directive and carried out additional sales to covert Food Safety investigators.
“Mr Naivaluvou told New Zealand Food Safety investigators he understood the requirements of the Notice of Direction but continued to operate as an illegal home kill business, slaughtering pigs and at least one chicken,” Arbuckle says.
"The majority of operators in New Zealand follow the rules because they want to make sure they are keeping their customers safe.
"When we find evidence of people deliberately flouting the law, we take action and there are consequences - as we’ve seen from the court’s response."
Pāmu has welcomed ten new apprentices into its 2026 intake, marking the second year of a scheme designed to equip the next generation of farmers with the skills, knowledge, and experience needed for a thriving career in agriculture.
One team with 43 head, including a contingent from Mid Canterbury, are reflecting on a stellar NZ DairyEvent.
Fonterra farmer shareholders have approved the mechanism for a $2/share capital return expected from the sale of its global consumer and associated businesses.
Trainees in the horticulture industry studying towards a certificate or diploma can now apply for Horticulture New Zealand's (HortNZ) 2026 Industry Training Scholarships programme.
OPINION: The first three Global Dairy Trade (GDT) auctions have been a morale booster for farmers.
Former Fonterra executive Alex Turnbull has been appointed CEO to lead all five Yili Oceania Business Division companies in New Zealand.

OPINION: Here w go: the election date is set for November 7 and the politicians are out of the gate…
OPINION: ECan data was released a few days ago showing Canterbury farmers have made “giant strides on environmental performance”.