Wednesday, 11 December 2013 09:56

Fonterra stance ‘prudent’

Written by 

HOLDING THE forecast farmgate milk price and lowering the dividend to 10c was a practical decision given the unusual market conditions says Fonterra Shareholders' Council chairman, Ian Brown.

 

Brown says after discussions with Fonterra chairman John Wilson it is clear there is a significant gulf between the higher market price for whole milk powder (WMP) and Fonterra's other products such as cheese and casein.

"While the milk price panel recommended a price of $9kg/MS this is not the price Fonterra is being paid for its cumulative product mix."

Brown says WMP is a lead indicator of the farmgate milk price and comprises around 70% of Fonterra's product mix whereas the other products which make up the remaining 30% have less bearing on the milk price.

"This has resulted in strong upward pressure on the farmgate milk price which if Fonterra was to follow would cause an unacceptable increase in debt and gearing," he says.

"While it is unusual for the board not to follow the milk price panel's recommendations, they are duty bound to act in the best interests of the co-op and make appropriate decisions with this in mind.

"The forecast milk price of $8.30 is still a record and with the 30 cent increase in the December advances rate payout to $5.80. Farmers can continue to feel positive about the outlook for the season.

"Fonterra is working to manage potential risk based on the signals it is receiving, as we do on farm.

"As we know our industry is a volatile one and the dividend announcement, while significant, has come only four months into a season during which the high milk price has made it apparent that it will be a tough year in terms of profitability, particularly for the consumer business.

"The board's announcement regarding further investment in Pahiatua, which will produce higher returning product, is another positive step in terms of managing future risk and maximising Farmers returns.

"Volatility is the only certainty in our industry and as always I advise Farmers to be prudent in their financial planning."

More like this

Organic milk price dropped

Fonterra's small group of organic farmers are facing a drop in milk price after a record $10.26/kgMS payout last year.

Organic milk joy

OPINION: Fonterra farmers will be hoping (and praying) for their second ever $8-plus milk price this season, but for the co-op's 70 organic milk suppliers, another $10-plus payout is almost a certainty.

National

Wide price range 'realistic'

Fonterra's wide forecast milk price range for the new season is realistic, says BNZ senior economist Doug Steel.

Machinery & Products

Lady muck really does suck

As anyone will attest to – if they’re married to someone with horses, have kids with ponies or are foolish…

The perfect workhorse

Hastings-based Kleer Contractors provides 24-hour machine work and labour for a local food processing plant.

» The RNG Weather Report

» Latest Print Issues Online

The Hound

No thanks!

OPINION: A mate of this old mutt's almost choked on his dog tucker when he came across the musings of…

More sunlight

OPINION: Your canine crusader hears that not all is rosy in the world of supposed rural sector congeniality.

» Connect with Rural News

» eNewsletter

Subscribe to our weekly newsletter