Unhelpful politics
Wairoa Mayor Craig Little says the succession of Recovery Ministers who have resigned or left has not made his life easy.
The Government has committed an additional $200,000 to Mayoral Relief Funds in the top of the South Island after flooding and severe weather hit the region. Photo Credit: Cherie Chubb.
The Government has committed a further $200,000 contribution to Mayoral Relief Funds across the Nelson/Tasman and Marlborough regions after they were hit by severe weather and flooding last week, Minister for Emergency Management Kieran McAnulty has announced.
This is in addition to the $200,000 funding announced by McAnulty on 18 August and on top of $120,000 funding recently announced by Minister for Rural Communities Damien O’Connor.
Marlborough will receive $100,000 and an additional $100,000 will be contributed to Nelson/Tasman.
“This past week has been really tough on the top of the South Island, with a long and challenging recovery ahead,” McAnulty said.
He said the additional contribution would support the communities in the two regions as they assess the full extent of the damage and begin clean-up.
“Given the size of the job, there is likely to be more support needed from the Government – but this contribution will help these regions tackle the most urgent areas of need while the scope of damage is still being assessed.
“Local communities and councils understand where the immediate needs are and how to help,” McAnulty said. “Mayoral Relief Funds help local communities to support whanau, community organisations and marae after an emergency.”
“The impacts of this event are spread across a wide geographical area which makes the recovery difficult. I’ll be checking in with the Council on Thursday to see what additional support from Government may be needed.”
Marlborough Mayor John Leggett said he was thankful for the contribution.
He said the event was significant and the recovery ahead would be another long journey.
“It is a bitter pill to swallow but we must accept it and get on with the job at hand, and we are. Many of our local roads, in particular the Marlborough Sounds, will likely be inaccessible or affected for some time to come. Rest assured we will be doing all we can to get our communities connected again as quickly as possible, but it is going to take time,” Leggett said.
“We will continue our work with the emergency team and the many Marlborough-based agencies, organisations and iwi over the coming days, weeks and months ahead, to get our region back up and running.”
The primary sector is leading New Zealand's economic recovery, according to economist and researcher Cameron Bagrie.
Dairy industry leader Jim van der Poel didn't make much of the invitation he received to the recent New Zealand Dairy Industry Awards in Rotorua.
Farmers around the country are going public big time, demanding their local district, city and regional councils come up with amalgamation plans that meet the needs of rural communities and don't allow urban councils to dominate.
The battle for the rural vote is on and parties are securing high profile names to try and bolster their chances at the general election.
Horticulture New Zealand says proposed changes to the Plant Variety Rights Act 2022 will drive innovation, investment and long-term productivity.
More than 1200 exhibitors will showcase their products and services at next month’s National Fieldays, with sites nearly sold out.

OPINION: It's been an eye-opener watching the big media companies behaving exactly like the powers-that-be who the crusading hacks from…
OPINION: Town and country find themselves on the same page when it comes to anger over price hikes from NZ…