Tuesday, 11 April 2017 13:55

Traceable formula a first for NZ

Written by 
Willem, 14 months old, waits while mum Emma scans her can of Annum. Willem, 14 months old, waits while mum Emma scans her can of Annum.

Fonterra has released its first batch of traceability-coded cans of Anmum infant formula in New Zealand.

The codes allow consumers to track and trace ingredients and products electronically throughout Fonterra, from the raw milk source on farm through to retail stores.

Unique to each can, the code connects consumers via a mobile phone app to a web page with information which verifies the authenticity of the product and its batch number. Consumers can also scan their can any time after purchase for an update on the product.

The co-op’s marketing manager Anmum, Teresa Smyth, says as a mother of twins, knowing exactly where the product comes from gives her confidence to buy it and feed it to her children.

“By scanning the QR code to trace the product’s journey, consumers can be assured of quality and safety.”

The co-op’s general manager trust in source, Tim Kirk, says it expects to have total electronic traceability to world-class standards by 2020.

“In attaining total electronic traceability we have broken down the job into achievable steps. By the end of this year, 90% of our plants globally will have traceability data electronically connected, with the remaining 10% to be completed in 2018-19.

The aim is electronic traceability for all milk starting from the supplying farm.

More like this

Shareholders welcome Fonterra revamp

Fonterra's full-year results and strategy refresh has been well received by shareholders says Fonterra Co-operative Council chair James Barron.

Will Aussies buy Fonterra?

A planned public listing of Fonterra’s Australian business will attract investors, including dairy farmers, claims Freshagenda analyst Steve Spencer.

National

Why should we do more?

OPINION: Managing our dairy sector's impacts inevitably attracts a range of views. Should we do more, less or stay the…

Cattle sale with a difference

Innovation, loss and resilience have brought the Singh family to the point where it is poised to honour its patriarch,…

O'Connor's overseas odyssey

Agriculture Minister Damien O'Connor continued his overseas odyssey in the past week with multiple meetings in the US, Europe and…

Machinery & Products

Protective tint

Now available in New Zealand, Wildcat Static Cling Tint adds a protective layer to the windows of your tractor, harvester…

New owner for stoll

German company Stoll, the well-known manufacturer of tractor front loaders and attachments that claims to be the second largest producer…

Fert spreaders get a revamp

Kuhn has updated its MDS range of fertiliser spreaders, giving farmers more options to upgrade machines as situations change, rather…

Mowers spring into action

With spring upon us, thoughts turn towards shutting up paddocks for conservation and maybe the purchase of new machinery to…

» The RNG Weather Report

» Latest Print Issues Online

Milking It

Feeling the heat

US dairy farmers have a new threat to their business - heat waves.

Class action

The news has gone from bad to worse for a2 Milk - the company Synlait had hitched its wagon to.

» Connect with Dairy News

» eNewsletter

Subscribe to our weekly newsletter