M.I.A.
OPINION: The previous government spent too much during the Covid-19 pandemic, despite warnings from officials, according to a briefing released by the Treasury.
The New Zealand AgriFood Week is the latest agribusiness event to fall victim to coronavirus.
Event host, the Central Economic Development Agency (CEDA) has announced that the week-long event, scheduled to start today, has been postponed: New dates will be announced later.
The event is closely associated with the Central District Field Days, which is scheduled to start on Thursday, March 19. However, organisers of the three-day event are likely to follow suit and postpone it.
CEDA chief executive Linda Stewart says meticulous care had been taken in coming to this decision.
“CEDA have been working around the clock to review the rapidly changing scene, considering the guidelines and advice from Ministry of Health and our DHB,” she says.
“With attendees coming from across New Zealand and the globe, the decision to postpone the Week was made to protect the wellbeing of all involved and our communities.”
Naming sponsor ASB fully supports the decision: ASB’s executive general manager of business banking Tim Deane saying the decision had not been made lightly, however it was the right one.
“We know AgriFood Week is a highlight in the rural calendar, however the safety and wellbeing of those attending is our top priority, and in light of the current situation we believe this decision is the correct one.
“We look forward to celebrating AgriFood Week at a later date with our customers and the wider rural community,” says Deane.
Ticket holders to the headline events will be notified of the proposed new dates as soon as practically possible.
Ticket holders are advised to check their emails for the latest information regarding postponement.
The coronavirus outbreak has forced the postponement of the Waikato A&P Show, Lely’s open farm day in Waikato and all public events of Foundation for Arable Research (FAR).
Testing confirms H5 bird flu in a single northern giant petrel, found dead on a remote Cape Palliser beach in the Wairarapa, says Dr Mary van Andel, the Ministry for Primary Industries' (MPI) Chief Veterinary Officer.
"What's for dinner?" may sound like a simple question, but for many Kiwi parents, answering it has become a job in itself.
Fifty Eight years ago, on the 16th of August 1968, August Claas, the founder of the harvesting company and father of Helmut Claas, personally presented a Claas Senator combine harvester to Scottish farmer John Steven.
New Zealand consumers are paying more for beef mince than ever before, with the average retail price now sitting above $24 per kilogram, according to Rabobank.
State farmer Pamu has delivered its strongest operating result on record.
Four years since it was first detected in New Zealand, researchers and growers now know much more about management of maize pest fall armyworm (FAW).

OPINION: The same mainstream media muppets that brought you Jacindamania in 2017 have been flat out pimping for the Opportunities…
OPINION: Your old mate reckons the atrocious way farmers in the UK are treated by their lords and masters in…