NZ Ploughing Team to Use Borrowed Gear After Shipping Mix-Up
The New Zealand ploughing team to the world championship in Croatia next month will be banking on borrowed equipment as they seek glory.
Arrangements for the this year's 61st New Zealand Ploughing Championships are in place for the finals.
The finals will be held at Rongotea, Manawatu, on Saturday 16 and Sunday 17 of April.
The organising committee, chaired by Paul Henson, has organised the stubble plots for the first day and the grassland plots for the next.
Currently there are 10 entrants in the conventional and five in the reversible divisions. The winners will qualify to represent New Zealand at the next World Championships in Kenya in December 2017.
Meanwhile there is an extra incentive for the seven entrants in the vintage ploughing division. The winner and runner-up will be invited to the 2016 World Championships in York, UK, on September 10 and 11.
"This is a first to invite vintage ploughs from around the world, but vintage ploughing has a lot of interest in UK and it represented a golden opportunity," World Ploughing Association chair Colin Millar told Rural News. "However, they will not be part of the World Championships."
In the horse ploughing division, sponsored by Rural News Group, there are six entries. These include Colin Drummond's six horse team and Erin Cassie's two horse team, both from Erewhon Station in Canterbury. All the ploughing work on Erewhon Station is done by working horses.
Two more horse entries come from Southland: John Cheynoweth with Sharon Chambers and Sean Leslie with Kaye Williams. The field is rounded out by Derek Thornton of Cambridge and last year's winner Fred Pilling of Te Kowhai, Hamilton.
Two other horse entries will plough, but not in the competition, as they are new ploughmen.
Testing confirms H5 bird flu in a single northern giant petrel, found dead on a remote Cape Palliser beach in the Wairarapa, says Dr Mary van Andel, the Ministry for Primary Industries' (MPI) Chief Veterinary Officer.
"What's for dinner?" may sound like a simple question, but for many Kiwi parents, answering it has become a job in itself.
Fifty Eight years ago, on the 16th of August 1968, August Claas, the founder of the harvesting company and father of Helmut Claas, personally presented a Claas Senator combine harvester to Scottish farmer John Steven.
New Zealand consumers are paying more for beef mince than ever before, with the average retail price now sitting above $24 per kilogram, according to Rabobank.
State farmer Pamu has delivered its strongest operating result on record.
Four years since it was first detected in New Zealand, researchers and growers now know much more about management of maize pest fall armyworm (FAW).

OPINION: The same mainstream media muppets that brought you Jacindamania in 2017 have been flat out pimping for the Opportunities…
OPINION: Your old mate reckons the atrocious way farmers in the UK are treated by their lords and masters in…