Friday, 06 September 2019 14:12

Irrigating farmers record better enviro audit grades

Written by  Nigel Malthus

Irrigating farmers in the Amuri district in North Canterbury are continuing to record improved environmental performance.

The latest round of Farm Environment Plan audits by the Amuri Irrigation Environmental Collective have given 97% of the farmers collective A or B grades, the remaining 3% a C grade and none a D.

That contrasts with 20% rated as C and 6% as D in the first round of collective audits four years ago. 

The collective consists of 176 farmers, including most larger irrigating farms within the Amuri, Hawarden and Hanmer Springs area. Most are Amuri Irrigation Company (AIC) shareholding irrigators but 33 are non-shareholders voluntarily in the collective as their preferred means of environmental assessment.

The collective was set up in 2013 and its environmental management strategy (EMS) was first approved by ECan for audited self management in 2014. The EMS specifies the required content of FEPs, which all members must have, and good management practice standards for farm management. 

“The collective is pleased with the steady improvement in performance over the four years, with 97% of all farms in the AIC Environmental Collective at either B or A grade. Our members care about the environment and demonstrating sound environmental management practice that leaves a secure legacy for future generations,” said David Croft, chair of AIC. 

ECan’s Hurunui Waiau zone committee welcomed the results, recognising particularly the transition by some farms from lower to higher audit grades. 

“They are a good demonstration of the effectiveness of Environment Canterbury’s audited self management programme,” said zone manager Andrew Arps. 

“Amuri Irrigation Collective members should be proud of the result, but there is always further room for improvement, and we will keep working with farmers towards this.” 

The AIC irrigates 28,000ha in the Amuri Basin north of the Hurunui River with water taken from the Waiau and Hurunui. It also has a proposal to construct a scheme south of the Hurunui,  having taken over the now defunct Hurunui Water Project and its water consents at the end of May.

More like this

Mega farmer pinged for effluent breaches

Large farm operations and professional spreading companies should be setting examples of best practice, says Waikato Regional Council regional compliance manager Patrick Lynch.

ClearTech reduces phosphate run-off

Ravensdown's ClearTech dairy effluent treatment system reduces phosphate leaching by an “astounding” amount, according to recent research.

Farmer input refines design

New Zealand farmers are having input into the development of a revolutionary irrigation prototype as its Feilding-based software engineers seek to refine its design.

From the hills to the sea and between

OPINION: One of the better parts of being on the Ashburton water zone committee is you get to meet interesting people out in the field and you are not always stuck in the committee room.

National

Farm consultant bags award

Sam Vivian-Greer, a farm consultant at BakerAg in Wairarapa, has been named the winner of the 2021 New Zealand Zanda…

Bumper price rises cemented

With just one more Global Dairy Trade (GDT) auction left for the 2020-21 season, bumper dairy price gains recorded in…

Industry backs recycling scheme

An on-farm plastic recycling initiative, Plasback, seems to be gaining momentum as the agricultural industry moves to reduce its environmental…

Machinery & Products

Let there be light

With shortening days meaning the need for good lighting is even more important out on the farm, it might be…

Honda to quit Oz ATV market

Confirming a move signalled over a year ago, in response to a directive by the Australian federal government that all…

Pasture management made easy

Those looking to use direct seeding to repair grass paddocks or plant catch crops might want to take a closer…

Shift fuel easily

Designed to fit wide-bodied utes with familiar names like Ranger, Hilux, BT-50, Triton, Navara, Dmax and Amarok, Silvan's new diesel…

» The RNG Weather Report

» Latest Print Issues Online

Milking It

Less-gassy bulls

There may soon be another tool available to cut your climate footprint - select less-gassy bulls out of a catalogue.

Rock and a hard place

OPINION: Appease the Chinese and protect your export trade, like dairy products, or infuriate them and face sanctions.

» Connect with Dairy News

» eNewsletter

Subscribe to our weekly newsletter